Substitute Teacher Information

Thank you for your interest in the Placer County Fingerprint Consortium for Substitute Teachers. We rely heavily on our substitute teachers and greatly appreciate the support they provide to teaching staff at all of the schools in Placer County.

The Consortium is open to new participants upon the recommendation by a Placer County School District Office to the Consortium.* Once cleared for the Consortium, individuals are eligible to apply to any of the 18 school districts in Placer County that may currently be hiring substitute teachers. After receiving a recommendation from a School District Office, individuals may call (see contact information below) for an appointment to be fingerprinted and processed as a substitute teacher for Placer County.

Qualifications for Substitute Teaching:

For those who do not hold a California teaching credential or an Emergency 30-Day Substitute Permit, our office can assist individuals in applying for a permit with the Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC). Official transcripts which include a degree posted on them and proof of passing the CBEST exam are required before making an appointment. Applying directly to the CTC for an initial permit may take longer for a document to be issued (Renewals must be completed online directly to CTC).

For more information regarding the Consortium, or to make an appointment, please contact:

Julia Frasu - 530.886.5825

Frequently Asked Questions about the Consortium

  1. I have been fingerprinted in the past for another district/organization. Will I need to be fingerprinted again?
    • Yes. You must be fingerprinted through the live scan process specifically for the Placer County Office of Education in order to substitute teach in Placer County. In California it is prohibited by law for multiple agencies to share confidential fingerprint results with one another.
  2. I had my fingerprints done for the Placer County Fingerprint Consortium several years ago, but I have not been working. What do I need to do to start working again?
    • The first step would be to contact our office to determine if you are still active in the Consortium. If not, we will advise you regarding the next steps
  3. I want to substitute in other counties. Will I be able to do that?
    • Emergency 30-Day Substitute Permits and California teaching credentials are issued by the CTC and are valid throughout the State.  However, the Consortium clearance for Placer County is not transferable to other counties.
  4. I had an Emergency 30-Day Substitute Permit that has expired; how do I renew it?
    • To renew a substitute permit, visit the CTC website at www.ctc.ca.gov and follow the prompts for Online Services for Educators. The cost to renew is $72.50 and a credit card is required. It will take approximately 7-10 days for your new document to be valid.
  5. When I renew my credential/permit, do I need to be fingerprinted again for CTC?
    • As long as your credential/permit is current you will not need to be reprinted for CTC. If you allow your document to lapse for 18 months or more, you will then need to be reprinted for CTC before being issued a new document.
    • If you allow your document to lapse or have not paid the annual $20 Consortium fee to remain an active Consortium participant, you will be terminated as a substitute teacher in the Consortium. Once terminated, there will no longer be a fingerprint connection with the Department of Justice and the Placer County Substitute Consortium. In order to reestablish the required connection, you would need to be reprinted for the Consortium.
  6. How long does it take to get an Emergency 30-Day Substitute Permit?
    • 6) Once CTC receives your online recommendation for a permit, you will receive an email from them with a link to the application. You must complete the application and pay the $72.50 fee through the CTC website in order for your permit to be issued. If you have no criminal history, the permit will usually be issued within 10 days from the time the application process is completed. 

*Sierra College and Tahoe-Truckee Unified School District require that an individual obtain a separate clearance specifically for their district. If you are interested in substitute teaching in either of these districts, you must contact them directly.

HR Home Page