|Early Childhood Education|
The Placer County Office of Education - Early Childhood Education (ECE) Department is home to many high quality early learning programs for young children, their families, child care providers, preschool teachers, school districts and others who provide early education and child care services. The Early Childhood Education Department exists to:
- Educate early learners in PCOE classrooms and through partnerships with private child care businesses.
- Help parents access high quality child care in the setting of their choice
- Provide professional development and educational resources for early educators
- Enhance children's readiness for school and prevent the achievement gap
- Provide services and support to school districts that offer preschool programs
- Lead regional collaborative efforts that increase the quality of early learning programs
Early childhood education makes a difference for students. Research shows that California children who start out behind in kindergarten are still behind in 3rd grade. California researchers also found that high quality preschool can make a difference by improving kindergarten readiness and raising performance on academic achievement tests in the early grades. There are also long term effects such as improved high school graduation and reduced grade retention.