COACHING IN PLACER COUNTY
The Placer County Office of Education supports districts in their Instructional Coaching, Induction Coaching, and Teacher on Special Assignment programs. We have a variety of resources and professional development opportunities designed specifically to maximize the effectiveness of these positions. Contact Ashley Serin for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org; (530) 745-1331.
Coaching Resources Google Folder: https://goo.gl/18yftb
Resources include Coach Logs, Coach Menu Samples, Coaching Conversation Tools and Resource, Coaching Cycle Forms, Coaching Data/Feedback Forms/Evaluations, Job Descriptions and Interview Questions, Newsletter Samples and Templates, PLC and Data Protocols, Professional Development Resources, Coach Standards and Rubrics, and Weekly Worksheets.
ARTICLE OF THE WEEK
A short article (3-minutes or less reading length) that addresses a current topic, continued skill, or important update for educators.
- "How to help teachers find an Area of Focus - The Most Read Article in 2017" by Center for Educational Leadership (JANUARY 9, 2018)
- "6 Ed Tech Tools to Try in 2018" by Cult of Pedagogy (JANUARY 8, 2018)
- "From Partisanship to Pluralism: Teaching Students how to Listen to Each Other" by Phi Delta Kappan (JANUARY 3, 2018)
- "Intelligence is not the same as critical thinking and the difference matters" by The Scientific American (DECEMBER 18, 2017)
- "6 Strategies for Taking High Quality Notes" by Edutopia (DECEMBER 11, 2017)
- "Building Students' Executive Functioning Skills" by The Marshall Memo (DECEMBER 4, 2017)
- "How to stop killing the love of reading" by Cult of Pedagogy (NOVEMBER 21, 2017)
- "Strategy Keys for Tackling Math Problems" by The Marshall Memo (NOVEMBER 14, 2017)
- "Leadership through an Equity Lens" by the School Superintendent's Association (NOVEMBER 7, 2017)
- "12 Ways to Support English Learners in the Mainstream Classroom" by Cult of Pedagogy (OCTOBER 31, 2017)
- "The PD Next Door: The Impact of Observation in our own Schools" by Literacy Leadership (OCTOBER 17, 2017)
- "When Students Won't Stop Talking" by Cult of Pedagogy (OCTOBER 10, 2017)
- "The Power of In-House Professional Development" by Lauren Prosoff (OCTOBER 6, 2017)
- "Leadership Lessons from the CEO of General Electric" by The Marshall Memo (SEPTEMBER 21, 2017)
- "What Teachers Want You to Know: A Note to School Administrators" by Cult of Pedagogy (SEPTEMBER 4, 2017)
- "The Impact Cycle" - Jim Knight (AUGUST 31, 2017)
- "To Err is Human - and a Powerful Prelude to Learning" by The Hetchinger Report (AUGUST 23, 2017)
- "Help! I'm Freaked Out About Coaching Others!" by Dan Rothwell (AUGUST 16, 2017)
- "The Best Strategy for Authentic Encouragement" by The Positive Educator (AUGUST 12, 2017)
A GUIDE TO COACHING
The Placer County Office of Education offers an instructional coaching manual to support instructional coaches, induction coaches, and TOSAs within our region. This guide includes everything you need to know to begin and maintain an instructional coaching or TOSA program, including documents and resources that can be used and adapted to meet your specific needs.
- PDF Version
- Linkable Table of Contents to take you to the exact page you want to go every time.
- Embedded links within the guide to documents, resources, and websites
- Placer County Educators: Free of charge*
- Out of County Educators: Digital version is included with Amazon Purchase*
*Email email@example.com to receive the digital version of this publication. Out of County Educators, please email proof of Amazon purchase to receive your digital copy.
- 76-Pages with traditional binding and a high quality cover
- 8.5" x 11" for easy use
- Appendix of all documents and resources
- Available on Amazon.com
- Cost: $10.00*
*Educators within Placer County will recieve a print copy at only the cost of printing. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to order yours at the discounted rate. *Members of the Coaching Institute, the TOSA PLC, and the PCOE Coaching Induction Programs will receive a print version for free. Email email@example.com for more information.
PCOE offers Coaching Institutes through the year for administrators, principals, instructional coaches, induction coaches, TOSAs, and teacher leaders. The institute covers leadership through coaching, giving effective feedback, using data to focus instructional improvement, the seven norms of collaboration, effective coaching conversations, and more. Register at www.placercoe.gosignmeup.com (search for Coaching Institute).
2017-2018 COACHING INSTITUTE INFORMATION
|Coaching Institute (Summer)||August 1-3, 2017||8:30am - 3:00pm||PCOE Annex, Nobili Room||365 Nevada Street, Auburn, CA 95603|
|Coaching Institute (Winter)||January 22-24, 2018||8:30am - 3:00pm||PCOE Seavey Center||655 Menlo Drive, Rocklin, CA 95765|
|Advanced Coaching Institute||October 30-31, 2017||8:30am - 3:00pm||PCOE Seavey Center||360 Nevada Street, Auburn, CA 95603|
In an effort to support our Instructional Coaches and TOSAs throughout Placer County, we offer a monthly PLC for all educators in a coaching or TOSA position to come together, analyze data, determine best practices, learn effective strategies, and collaborate on improving practice and inceasing impact. Register at www.placercoe.gosignmeup.com (search for TOSA PLC).
2017-2018 PLC INFORMATION
|August 24, 2017||8:30am - 10:00am||PCOE Annex, Nobili Room||365 Nevada Street, Auburn, CA 95603|
|October 5, 2017||8:30am - 10:00am||PCOE Annex, Nobili Room||365 Nevada Street, Auburn, CA 95603|
|November 9, 2017||8:30am - 10:00am||PCOE Main, Granite Room||360 Nevada Street, Auburn, CA 95603|
|December 7, 2017||8:30am - 10:00am||PCOE Main, Granite Room||360 Nevada Street, Auburn, CA 95603|
|February 1, 2018||8:30am - 10:00am||PCOE Seavey Center||655 Menlo Drive, Rocklin, CA 95765|
|March 1, 2018||8:30am - 10:00am||PCOE Seavey Center||655 Menlo Drive, Rocklin, CA 95765|
|April 19, 2018||8:30am - 10:00am||PCOE Seavey Center||655 Menlo Drive, Rocklin, CA 95765|
|May 17, 2018||8:30am - 10:00am||PCOE Seavey Center||655 Menlo Drive, Rocklin, CA 95765|
For continued professional development and training for instructional coaches, induction coaches, and TOSAs, PCOE offers a free Coach Network three times a year. During these 3 hour professional development sessions, participants are given opportunites to learn about new research in the coaching field, practice and refine coaching skills, and participate in coaching triads with observations and feedback. It is a powerful way to stay up-to-date and on par with the skills, techniques, and strategies of effective coaching. Register at www.placercoe.gosignmeup.com (search for Coach Network).
2017-2018 COACH NETWORK INFORMATION
|September 22, 2017||8:30am - 11:30am||PCOE Annex, Nobili Room||365 Nevada Street, Auburn, CA 95603|
|November 3, 2017||8:30am - 11:30am||PCOE Seavey Center||655 Menlo Drive, Rocklin, CA 95765|
|March 16, 2018||8:30am - 11:30am||PCOE Seavey Center||655 Menlo Drive, Rocklin, CA 95765|
INDIVIDUALIZED COACHING SUPPORT
The PCOE instructional coaching specialist will work with you and/or your team in individualized professional development.Options for support include:
- Observation of a coaching conversation with feedback
- Professional development planning and collaboration
- Demo Lesson/Co-Teaching support
- Reflective and/or problem-solving conversations
- Other, as desired
This professional development opportunity is a fee for service model. For more information, or if interested in receiving individualized support, please contact Ashley Serin at firstname.lastname@example.org.