​Substitute Teacher Information

​Thank you for your interest in substitute teaching in Placer County. We rely heavily on our substitute teachers and greatly appreciate the support they provide to teaching staff at all of the schools in Placer County.

The Placer County Office of Education operates a Fingerprint Consortium for Substitute Teachers in order to provide a more streamlined and efficient fingerprint clearing process for substitutes seeking to work in various districts within Placer County.  Placer County school districts are able to utilize the clearance information from the Fingerprint Consortium for Substitute Teachers in order to employ individuals as substitutes for their districts.

The consortium is open to new participants upon the recommendation by a Placer County school district office to the consortium.* There is a $25 yearly consortium participation fee that must be paid (plus the cost of fingerprinting for initial clearance) by consortium participants.  Once cleared for the consortium, individuals are eligible to apply to any of the 21 school districts/charter schools in Placer County that may currently be hiring substitute teachers. After receiving a recommendation from a school district office, individuals may call (see contact information below) for an appointment to be fingerprinted and processed as a substitute teacher for Placer County.

For those who do not hold a California teaching credential or an Emergency 30-Day Substitute Teaching Permit, our office can assist individuals in applying for the permit with the Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC). Official transcripts which include a posted degree and proof of passing the CBEST exam are required before making an appointment. Applying directly to the CTC for an initial permit may take longer for the permit to be issued (renewals must be completed online directly through the CTC).

Minimum Qualifications for the Emergency 30-Day Substitute Teaching Permit:

  • Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited university
  • CBEST (www.ctcexams.nesinc.com)
  • Fingerprint Clearance through the CTC 

​For more information regarding the consortium, or to make an appointment, please contact: Gianna Barlupi- 530.886.5825 | gbarlupi@placercoe.k12.ca.us

​Frequently Asked Questions about the Consortium

​I have been fingerprinted in the past for another district/organization. Will I need to be fingerprinted again?

​In California it is prohibited by law for agencies to share confidential fingerprint results with one another; therefore, you must be fingerprinted through the live scan process specifically for the Placer County Fingerprint Consortium for Substitute Teachers in order to substitute teach in Placer County school districts.

​I had my fingerprints done for the Placer County Fingerprint Consortium several years ago, but I have not been working. What do I need to do to start working again?

​The first step would be to contact our office to determine if you are still active in the consortium. If not, we will advise you regarding the next steps.

​I want to substitute in other counties. Will I be able to do that?

​Emergency 30-Day Substitute Teaching Permits and California teaching credentials are issued by the CTC and are valid throughout the state.  However, the consortium clearance for Placer County is not transferable to other counties.

​I had an Emergency 30-Day Substitute Teaching Permit that has expired; how do I renew it?

​To renew a substitute teaching permit, visit the CTC website at www.ctc.ca.gov and follow the prompts for renewing your document. The fee to renew is $102.50 and a credit card is required. It will take approximately 7-10 business days for CTC to issue the renewal.

​When I renew my credential/permit, do I need to be fingerprinted again for CTC?

​As long as your credential/permit is current you will not need to be reprinted for CTC. If you allow your document to lapse for 18 months or more, you will then need to be reprinted specifically for CTC before being issued a new document.

​How long does it take to get an Emergency 30-Day Substitute Teaching Permit?

​Once CTC receives your online recommendation from PCOE, you must complete the application and submit the fee of $102.50 through the CTC website. If you have no criminal history, the permit will usually be issued within 7-10 business days from the date the application process is completed.

*Sierra College and Tahoe-Truckee Unified School District require that an individual obtain a separate clearance specifically for their district. If you are interested in substitute teaching in either of these districts, you must contact them directly.