Office of the County Superintendent
|Vision, Mission and Strategic Goals|
The vision of the Placer County Superintendent of Schools and the Placer County Board of Education is to provide exemplary leadership and service to schools, parents, and the community as we work together to provide a globally competitive, comprehensive, rigorous and relevant education to all students.
The Placer County Superintendent of Schools works in collaboration with the Placer County Board of Education to provide leadership, accountability, resources, educational programs, and student services to the students and families of Placer County.
- The Placer County Superintendent of Schools adopts policies that provides direction for administering the county office of education and programs that lie within her jurisdiction. The County Superintendent of Schools is the sole employer of staff that are charged to implement various programs.
- The Placer County Board of Education adopts policies that govern programs that lie within its jurisdiction. The County Board of Education is the appellate body for school districts and parents in the areas of interdistrict transfers and expulsion appeals. The Board also reviews charter school petitions that are made directly to the county and serves as the authorizing body for approved petitions.
Educational and & Financial Accountability
- The Placer County Superintendent of Schools monitors the school districts in the county through review and approval of each school district's budget and their local control accountability plan. The County Superintendent of Schools also monitors low performing schools in the county and provides various resources to the districts to improve student outcomes.
- The Placer County Board of Education approves the county office of education's budget and the local control accountability plan for the students that the county office serves.
- The Placer County Superintendent of Schools operates various student programs to serve students from birth through adulthood. Examples include special education programs, early childhood programs, career technical education, court and community schools and Pathways Charter School.
- The Placer County Board of Education is the governing board for students enrolled in career technical education, court and community schools and Pathways Charter School. The County Board of Education adopts curriculum necessary to achieve the objectives of these programs.
Educational Leadership & Community Engagement
- The County Superintendent of Schools and the County Board of Education provide leadership to the greater community and advocate for students and high quality education. Together they elevate public education by actively advocating for policies, regulations and laws that enhance opportunities for students, parents and communities.
- The County Superintendent of Schools and the County Board of Education encourages participation and partnerships with all stakeholders to achieve academic excellence.
STRATEGIC GOALS – Superintendent of Schools
- Students enrolled in PCOE programs will grow academically and will be school, college, or career ready.
- Develop innovative educational and administrative programs to advance regional priorities.
- Fostering collaboration and partnerships among educational agencies and community based organizations to promote a prosperous region.
STRATEGIC GOALS – Board of Education
- The Board of Education will adopt policies for charter school approval and oversight that are aligned with best practices.
- The Board of Education will continue an Ad Hoc Committee to identify trends in district LCAPs to provide resources for the county office to provide technical assistance.
- The Board of Education will develop a strategy to become stronger advocates for students and programs of the County Office of Education.